Transforming families around the world
P.O. Box 206, Goleta, CA 93116, U.S.A.
(805) 968-1868 (phone and fax)
Articles by Aletha Solter, Ph.D.
Click here for a list of professional articles by Aletha Solter.
Articles by Aletha Solter originally published in Mothering magazine
- Crying for comfort: distressed babies need to be held
- Family meetings for conflict resolution
- The disadvantages of time-out
- Dutch version De nadelen van time-out
- French version Les désavantages de la mise à l'écart temporaire (Time-Out)
- Spanish version Las desvantajas del tiempo fuera
Excerpts from Aletha Solter's books
Introduction to Attachment Play (Table of contents, introduction, and first chapter from Attachment Play)
Allow your toddler to say "no" (Excerpt from Raising Drug-Free Kids)
Listen to your teenager (Excerpt from Raising Drug-Free Kids)
Should I let my baby sleep with me? (Excerpt from The Aware Baby)
- Are children inherently bad? (Excerpt from Helping Young Children Flourish)
- French version Les enfants ont-ils un fond mauvais?
- German version Sind Kinder ihrer Natur nach schlecht
- Spanish version ¿Son los niños esencialmente malos?
Principles of learning (Excerpt from the Workbook for Helping Young Children
- What causes violence? (Excerpt from Tears and Tantrums)
- French version L'origine de la violence
- German version Der Umgang mit Gewalt
Interviews with Aletha Solter
- How can we respond to babies' emotions?
- French version Comment accompagner les émotions des petits?
- Interview with Aletha Solter on crying and high-need infants
- Spanish version Entrevista con Aletha Solter sobre el llanto de los bebés
Breaking the cycle of violence: an interview with Aletha Solter
Other articles by Aletha Solter
Raising Drug-Free Kids
The crying-in-arms approach for helping babies sleep through the night
Why do children 'misbehave'?
- Don't spank your children
- Spanish version No pegues a tus hijos
- Twenty alternatives to punishment
- Dutch version Twintig alternatieven voor straffen
- French version Vingt alternatives à la punition
- Spanish version Veinte alternativas al castigo
- What to do when your baby cries
- Dutch version Wat te doen als je baby huilt?
- French version Que faire quand votre bébé
- German version Was tun, wenn dein Baby
- Spanish version ¿Qué hacer cuando un bebé llora?
Understanding tears and tantrums
Children and trauma: what to expect and what to do
Supernanny: alluring and deceptive
- The drugging of children: a national disgrace
- (Originally published in the Santa Barbara News-Press)
Questions and Answers
Aletha Solter answered parents' questions for a few years at the Parenthoodweb site. Below are links to the 27 questions she answered during that period. This is not a personal advice column, and Dr. Solter will not be posting any more answers. If you have a question about your child, check the articles below to see if one of them addresses your concern. If you would like personal advice or support, please contact Dr. Solter to schedule a phone consultation. (She requests that you read at least one of her books before scheduling a consultation.) She does not answer personal queries by email. See also our Parent Support Page.
- Conception to Two Years
- How Can I
Bond With My Infant Before Birth?
- Crying Spells
in Six-Week-Old Infant
- Frustrations in
- Four-Month-Old Wakes up Frequently at Night
- Eight-Month-Old Is Unable to Entertain Herself
Eleven-Month-Old is Aggressive Towards Mother
- How to Stop a
Toddler From Biting
- Two to Five Years
Tantrums in Two-Year-Old
- How Can I Help
My Daughter Remember to Use the Potty?
Anxiety in Three-Year-Old
- My Daughter is
- Child Diagnosed
with both ADHD and Anxiety Disorder... HELP!
Masturbation Inappropriate for Four-Year-Olds?
- Single Mother
Cannot Control Four-Year-Old Son
Reluctant to Go to School
- Five to Nine Years
Five-Year-Old Wants to Sleep with Parents
- Child Afraid
of Night-Time "Monsters"
- My Sweet Baby
Has Turned Into a Troubled Five-Year-Old
- An Only Child
is Aggressive with Other Children at School
Behavior in Six-Year-Old
Six-Year-Old is a Terrible Eater
- Should I
Associate an Allowance with Specific Household Duties?
Doctor Visits a Pleasant Experience for Children
- How Can I Talk
to My Child About Sex?